- The South African Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy, Mr Gwede Mantashe, has given notice of his intention to increase the current limit of embedded generation allowed of 1MW without a generation licence, to 10MW.
- The notice was formally published last Friday, 23rd April, in the government gazette for comment.
- The new concession will allow companies to produce power or purchase power from independent power producers, for own use, of up to 10MW capacity without applying or holding a licence under the Electricity Regulation Act.
- Conditions of generation license exceptions are specified in the notice but the ‘activity’ must be still be registered with the country’s energy regulator, NERSA.
- The exception includes farming operations.
- The exception also includes circumstances where power is wheeled.
- Interested persons or organisations have 30 days to provide written comment on the proposed amendments to the Licensing Exemption and Registration Notice.
Link to theLicensing Exemption and Registration Notice HERE
Author: Bryan Groenendaal