- JUWI is in final stages of commissioning a solar hybrid project at Centamin’s Sukari Gold Mine, some 400 kilometers south of the conference venue Sharm El-Sheikh.
- The energy system consists of a 36 MW solar farm and a 7.5 MW battery-energy storage system that have been integrated into the existing diesel power station.
The solar system designed by JUWI has maximized the generation with bifacial solar PV modules and a single axis tracking system, taking advantage of the high irradiance on site. JUWI Hybrid IQ micro-grid technology enables the integration of the solar and battery system into the existing off-grid network and supports the operation of the existing power station.
The benefits of the hybrid power solution at Sukari include:
- Reduction in exposure to volatile fuel pricing with commissioning savings of up to 70,000 liters of diesel per day and averaging a reduction in diesel consumption of 22 million liters per annum
- Lowering carbon emissions by an estimated 60,000 tCO2- per annum and a subsequent reduction in the volume of diesel trucked to the site
- Reduction in operating costs
Author: Bryan Groenendaal