- Holbaai is a beach close to Melkbos, a beautiful seaside village on the north-western fringe of the Cape Town Metropolis in South Africa.
- It is well known for its tranquillity, wide white beach, water sports and west-coast hospitality.
- Holbaai has recently received its first solar lighting installation.
A lighting solution was needed for the Holbaai to enhance visitors’ feeling of safety and wellbeing, and since there is no electrical supply close by, a solar lighting solution was the only option. The BEKA SOLAR was the lighting solution chosen for this project.
The locally designed and manufactured BEKA SOLAR has been optimised to offer the most customizable solar solution for road and urban applications. This solar street light for outdoor residential and public applications gives you a full customizable option to suit all off-grid solar lighting requirements.
The BEKA SOLAR, combined with the ZIYA luminaire, provides a reliable lighting solution with a high Ingress Protection level (IP 65) that withstands high ambient temperatures and vandalism (IK 10). The ZIYA range is a sustainable off-grid performer with a superior lumen/watt ratio.
Furthermore, each luminaire has a motion detector installed. When there is no movement, the light dims down to a low light level without compromising on security in the parking area. As soon as there is movement, the light ramps up to full output.
The photovoltaic process is optimized by efficient Polycrystalline solar module technology to maximise solar energy. This in turn offers the best energy storage options and autonomy available on the market with our range of battery options, namely Lead, Lithium and the new SuperCapacitor. This SuperCapacitor removes the depth of discharge (DOD) issues, and furthermore offers extended life and discharge cycles.
Controlling the whole system and using this solar energy by programming the MPPT charge controllers protects and optimizes the system from any internal and external factors, like thermal environmental changes when charging the batteries.
The BEKA SOLAR offers the following key advantages:
- It has been designed to operate reliably at a high light output over a 12 to 14 hour period
- It has sufficient autonomy to cater for up to four continuous overcast or rainy days, to continue its reliable night operation
- Integrated solar components
- Theft and vandal resistant
- Specifically engineered for all geographical locations in Africa
- Various battery technologies available to meet specific customer requirements
BEKA Schréder locally develops and manufactures energy-efficient LED lighting products, designed and suitable for local conditions. We are very proud to be associated with CDE Supplies and City of Cape Town in providing a successful solar lighting solution for this project.
For further enquiries, contact Therlo Brown at 021 510 8900 or email@example.com
Author: Bryan Groenendaal