- Demonstrations will be happening outside the offices of the African Development Bank (AfDB) in the following locations across the continent: Ivory Coast, Togo, Nigeria, Ghana, and South Africa.
- The planned demonstrations fall on Africa day (25th May) and have been organised by various civil society organisations and climate justice activists throughout the region.
Activists are using this moment to demand that AfDB commits to Africa’s transition to 100% Renewable Energy by excluding all fossil fuel financing from their investment portfolios and shifting investments towards socially-owned and gender-inclusive climate finance. A just transition to renewable energy is increasingly critical as climate change and its impacts become more and more threatening to societies and people living in Africa.
The main demands of climate justice activists in the region include:
- AfDB to be 100% transparent and switch to 100% renewable energy in its power lending portfolios.
- AfDB to develop and implement a fossil fuel finance exclusion policy.
- AfDB to engage meaningfully with CSOs
To take part or find out more click HERE
Author: Bryan Groenendaal