540MW solar/battery hybrid plant commissioned in South Africa

  • The three Kenhardt solar/battery hybrid power plants in the Northern Cape Province, in South Africa have been fully commissioned. 

The Kenhardt project is one of the world’s first and largest hybrid solar and battery storage facilities. With an installed solar capacity of 540 MW and a battery storage capacity of 225MW/1,140MWh, this innovative and large-scale project delivers 150 MW of dispatchable power from 5 am to 9.30 pm year-round to the national grid under a 20-year Power Purchase Agreement with Eskom.

With a total investment of approximately USD 1 billion, the Kenhardt project marks the largest commitment in Scatec’s history and will generate solid returns to Scatec’s shareholders. The project debt is provided by a group of lenders which includes The Standard Bank Group as lead arranger and British International Investment (BII).

A hybrid solar and battery storage plant integrates solar and battery technologies, overcoming intermittency challenges and bolstering grid stability. With the ability to deliver reliable power in low or no sunlight, the integrated storage enhances overall reliability. Dispatchable power production and releasing stored energy during peak demand make these plants ideal for meeting region-wide energy needs during high consumption periods.

Norway listed IPP, Scatec ASA, holds 51% of the equity and H1 Holdings, a local Black Economic Empowerment partner, owns the remaining 49%.

Author: Bryan Groenendaal

Leave A Reply

About Author

Green Building Africa promotes the need for net carbon zero buildings and cities in Africa. We are fiercely independent and encourage outlying thinkers to contribute to the #netcarbonzero movement. Climate change is upon us and now is the time to react in a more diverse and broader approach to sustainability in the built environment. We challenge architects, property developers, urban planners, renewable energy professionals and green building specialists. We also challenge the funding houses and regulators and the role they play in facilitating investment into green projects. Lastly, we explore and investigate new technology and real-time data to speed up the journey in realising a net carbon zero environment for our children.

Receive the week’s most popular stories in your inbox every Saturday morning