- The Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) in South Africa has launched an expression of interest targeting IPP’s to build, own and operate power generation plants at 19 locations which inlcuded floating solar PV.
- The projects are identified at locations around country which include pump stations and dams.
- The projects are both off-grid and grid tied.
- The last day for submission of the completed EOI Response Form is 11:00 am on 18 April 2023.
South Africa’s national water management and supply network has been plagued by blackouts forcing taps to run dry because pump stations are unable to pump water. Read more
The DWS intends to invite Expressions of Interest from Bidders/ Companies/Developers to generate information that will assist the department to assess aspects of potential renewable energy projects at selected government waterworks infrastructure for the selection of renewable energy developers for the development of potential types of renewable energy plants and the Operation and Maintenance of the same.
The objectives of EOI are as follows:
- Solar Power Generation – Floating/ Ground-mounted system
- Wind Power Generation – land/however erected a system
- Hydropower – Conduit hydropower system
- Conservation of water loss due to less evaporation
- Creation of employment to the communities in the vicinity of the dams/pump stations
- As the solar power project might be installed on a water surface, the other land surfaces for the same capacity of the project can be utilised for other purposes
- The land required for the project will be leased out by the DWS in accordance with government legal prescripts
- DWS would be the primary energy off-taker and where there is a surplus of energy the IPP must have secondary users/off-takers
Potential respondents are requested to submit an EOI Response Form in accordance with the instructions in the EOI that will be available free of charge, for download on the website: Open the page: https://www.dws.gov.za/Tenders/tenders.aspx and then Click “Current Tenders” to access all the posted and uploaded documents related to this EOI.
Any clarifications regarding bidding procedures may be directed to: Bidenquirieswte@dws.gov.za
Link to tender notice HERE
Author: Bryan Groenendaal