Burkina Faso: Construction to begin on 30MW Pâ Solar PV Plant

  • Construction is set to begin on a 30 MW solar PV plant near the town of Pâ, in Burkina Faso.
  • The off taker is the country’s national power utility – La Société National D’électricité Du Burkina Faso (Sonabel).

  • Urbasolar was selected as the developer and operator following a competitive tender process run by Sonabel.
  • Construction of the plant scheduled to be completed within 18 months.

Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund (EAIF) has provided 80% of the project. Urbasolar is providing the remaining 20% of the project’s capital.

Related news: Solar panel factory in Burkina Faso begins production

EAIF’s managers Ninety One investment director Paromita Chatterjee said “This project is a perfect example of how EAIF’s public-private partnership (PPP) model can have lasting economic, social and environmental impacts, while mobilising private capital and enterprise to create new infrastructure.”

Related news: EIB Provides EUR 38.5 million to Expand Solar Plant to 50MW

Author: Bryan Groenendaal

Source: EAIF

Leave A Reply

About Author

Green Building Africa promotes the need for net carbon zero buildings and cities in Africa. We are fiercely independent and encourage outlying thinkers to contribute to the #netcarbonzero movement. Climate change is upon us and now is the time to react in a more diverse and broader approach to sustainability in the built environment. We challenge architects, property developers, urban planners, renewable energy professionals and green building specialists. We also challenge the funding houses and regulators and the role they play in facilitating investment into green projects. Lastly, we explore and investigate new technology and real-time data to speed up the journey in realising a net carbon zero environment for our children.

Receive the week’s most popular stories in your inbox every Saturday morning