Rainwater Catchment Tanks are an eco-friendly way of harvesting rain water which would normally run off your hotel roof and down your drains. Rain water costs nothing. As such the system reduces the amount of potable water you would normally use for cleaning purposes. The harvested water is captured from your roof drains, filtered if necessary and stored in the tank for on-demand uses like general cleaning, flushing toilets and hotel irrigation. The system typically comes with a pump to direct water via the plumbing to a specific point of use.
What you need to know
- Make sure the tank design is aesthetically pleasing to fit the overall dimensions and look of your hotel. Some tanks can be an eyesore by size, shape and colour
- Tanks can be also be installed underground
- Rainwater is a clean source of water – a water treatment system is not required if harvested water is only used outdoors or for cleaning. Water must be treated if plumbed for indoor use
- The system ensures an alternative water supply in the event of water restrictions or municipal water switch off
- It is generally accepted that 1mm of rainfall over 1m2 will give you 1 litre of rainwater
- Harvested water can also be used for human consumption with the correct filtration treatment inside the tank
- Payback period is typically 10 to 15 years but this will reduce as water supply becomes more expensive
- Water is typically pumped to the point of need by a small pump system which can be fitted with a timer if required
- The system can be connected to the hotel garden irrigation scheme.
- There are various size tanks available to suite specific requirements.